Skip to content

Our Charity and
The Chapel

Built for the benefit of the local tin and copper mining families in 1833, the Chapel has served as a cornerstone of the St Just community for almost 200 years!

A Grade II* listed building of huge cultural, historical and spiritual significance the Chapel is a testament to the strength and resilience of our towns people. Centuries of meaning has been passed on through celebration, performance and remembrance held within the Chapel walls, a meaning which helps to define the community we know and love today.

Part of the World Heritage Site, today the Chapel is a rare example of important architectural and historic features and with its outstanding acoustics, the Chapel is a magnificent setting for music.

St Just Miners Chapel Charity became a registered charity in 2017, when the Chapel was first threatened with closure. Shortly after this the Chapel was placed on Historic England’s At Risk Register.

Volunteer run the charity uses the proceeds from welcoming audiences into the Chapel, to add to the efforts of the small local Methodist congregation in the repair, maintenance and restoration of the fabric of the Chapel buildings.

Through the Chapels preservation and use as a cultural hub for song, music and storytelling and as a venue for worship, education and community the charity aims to ensure the Chapel remains a place for the benefit and education of those visiting and using the buildings.

Why Are We Called
St Just Miners' Chapel?

We are called ‘St Just Miners’ Chapel’ to reflect the heritage and cultural significance of St Just, our mining past and where the lessons from history can contribute to a fair, just and prosperous future for our community.

An integral part of what can arguably be described as one of the most visually powerful post-industrial rural and coastal landscapes in Cornwall, for many miners the Chapel was the last recognisable building in Cornwall they saw when they sailed to seek employment overseas.

Amongst the graves, all of equal importance to their families, are 15 of the 31 Levant miners killed in the disastrous accident in 1919.

Our Trustees

Ian Marsh, Chair
Jack Roberts, Vice Chair
Caroline Watling, Treasurer
Robert Chaddar

Bronwen Rowland
Marna Blundy
Richard Trahair
John Anderson